Missed the boat????

CockneyRebel

Just watching the European and USA/Uk markets rapid fall over the last couple of days makes me wonder.... Are any of the would be migrants stuck in blighty going to ever be afford to come out here??? Its fantastic if your already here (22celcius today in winter) lovely view over Sydney harbour. If the pound doesnt recover in the next couple of years i dont think anyone is going to be able to afford the extortionate house prices and high interest rates. For Pomes already here i dont think you guys can lose. Choice of returning home when you want loaded with cash, maybe even mortgage free, or stay out here and ride the boom and keep sunbathing!! I dont want to sound negative but i fear that if your not already in now you never will be.

Fingers crossed everyone..

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah thanks for that! We are still hoping of finding a way in, and even more so now with the way things are going in the UK with the FTSE this week. :mad:

Same! Hoping things change for daves occupation this year and we get to go to perth next year. i can always dream!! :cute:

Were worried about that, been trying for couple of years to get over, the wifes occupation was on the skills list a year ago, isnt now and were waiting for it to come back. The money situation is a major worry, wouldnt be able to sell our house is we wanted to, market is awful. Were still going to hopefully make it one day, but not with a great deal of money as wont be able to save much and wont get much from the house.........not too much against us then!!!

Same here, my husband doesn't have the qualifications but does have the experience. Need to really sit down with him and decide what we should do really. Cant see any future here for the kids and I really want the best for them. If they are happy then I am happy. Of course there is the nagging doubt we would get to OZ and the kids would be miserable.:biglaugh:

Guest guest37336
Just watching the European and USA/Uk markets rapid fall over the last couple of days makes me wonder.... Are any of the would be migrants stuck in blighty going to ever be afford to come out here??? Its fantastic if your already here (22celcius today in winter) lovely view over Sydney harbour. If the pound doesnt recover in the next couple of years i dont think anyone is going to be able to afford the extortionate house prices and high interest rates. For Pomes already here i dont think you guys can lose. Choice of returning home when you want loaded with cash, maybe even mortgage free, or stay out here and ride the boom and keep sunbathing!! I dont want to sound negative but i fear that if your not already in now you never will be.

Fingers crossed everyone..

Hi Rebel.

I bet you made a few weep this morning with that post,:cry:, no seriously mate, what you say is very true, and no one knows what is going to happen in the future, and I sincerely hope the exchange rate picks up for all the folks who look at this,:yes:

But I think the way things are going the old pound may be in for a pounding (sorry, no pun intended) over the next few years, I could be wrong, but the outlook isn't great I'm afraid.

But this is where adaptability comes into it to a certain degree, I hate the words, 'Lowering Ones Expectations' but to a degree they are true.

Whilst no doubt things will always be hard(ish) for any newly arrived migrant to a degree we have to accept that the exchange rates are completely out of our control, there is little we can do about them, never going to happen, but what we can do is accept this fact and realise the things we were expecting from OZ may never come to fruition.

Some would love the big house, cars, ocean views and the like, but if we can look a little more outside of the box to a degree it is still possible to live the dream but with far fewer 'peripheral' things that we deem very important.

I may get a hammering for this, but at the present time we may have to look at things in a completely different light and realise that if we hang on for the exchange rate to go up our dream of living in Australia will in all probability never come about.

But if we can adjust our expectations a little more maybe it is still possible. OK, with a few sacrifices along the way, but in the long term far better to be in a country you WANT to live in and be a little poorer materialistically, than in your old age say, 'I wish'.:no:

Cheers Tony.

Guest Guest 47403

Never a better time to leave really why hang around a sinking ship when you can be riding the crest of a wave? Sooner your earning Oz $$ the sooner your taking advantage of the boom and leaving behind a mess. As long as you have enough £ to get initially set up you can leave the rest in the UK to ride the storm it will (eventually) improve in the UK.

Tony,

agree about moving to Oz for a better lifestyle, the wife and i dont have much and arent materialistic, just worries us about having enough money to start up with and live for a bit. I work in Finance as well, so if the world markets carry on, i will be lucky to get a job out there!!....poss re-train i think, want to do something different anyway!!

Guest guest37336
Tony,

agree about moving to Oz for a better lifestyle, the wife and i dont have much and arent materialistic, just worries us about having enough money to start up with and live for a bit. I work in Finance as well, so if the world markets carry on, i will be lucky to get a job out there!!....poss re-train i think, want to do something different anyway!!

Couldn't agree more smw reference setting up costs, bloody astronomical mate,:no:.

But I admire your resolution to re-train, if a square brick won't fit into a round hole, make yourself round,:idea::yes:

No idea if that statement made sense mate, :goofy:, but I hope you know what I mean.:wubclub:

Cheers Tony.

There are going be some people reading this thread will never set foot in Australia (as migrants) the markets today took a real hammering and In the news there is real fear of increase in unemployment.

I think it's going be 17th December 2008 Mark II.... The reality is the migration tap could be turned down to a trickle.

Employers might be more reluctant to sponsor now, people on recent 457 could be vulnerable if redundancies become a reality.

Just a view from the Aus side

Guest Andy and Linda

I see where you are coming from Cockney Rebel, and it could be a long time until the dollar rate gets back up to 2.60 for a pound, if it ever recovers to that kind of value.

However, 7 days ago, the rate was $1.47 ish to £1, checking today its $1.56. To us, moving in 4 weeks, that's a significant gain in the amount of $ we will get (and it looks to be still increasing).

The way I see it, moving abroad gives us a great opportunity to have money in more than one currency, and at least a fighting chance of coming out of something quids in. Of course, we would have been much better off transferring everything we owned a couple of years ago. But I'm just trying to make the best of what is available now, and keeping an eye on the markets, and with a bit of common sense regarding repayments of our student loans (mine in £, and Linda's in Norwegian Kroner) we can juggle things around and still be able to get what we want in Oz.

Its important to remember that once we're over there, we're earning dollars, so any exchange rates are only relevant when we're moving money abroad, and how often do we all really do that now?

I know everyone's situation is different, and we are in the (fortunate??) position of not having much in £ anyway... But stay positive, and make the best of what is available to you at the moment, instead of pining over past currency valuations!

It'll be alright on the night!

Andy

Guest guest37336
Tony...LOL, know what you mean!!!

Think, people need to give things a go, easier that it sounds!!

Glad you interpretated the message matey,:goofy::notworthy:.

Migration can be one of the most stressful times in our lives, and I genuinely mean it when I say the exchange rate isn't helping matters at all, though I often spout nonsense, without a doubt if the money markets would pick up then many more peoples minds would be put to rest, a little anyway.

It's a great shame this is happening, there are so many genuine and deserving folk who have had their plans put on hold, even those with what I would say have realistic expectations, bloody shame it is.:no:

If they ever re-do that list of the most stressful times in ones life it should read:

Death Of A Loved One.

Having Children.

Changing Careers.

Moving.

And, MOVING TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD,:realmad::arghh::shocked:

Reading this worries me.. why oh why didnt we decide to do this 2-3 years ago instead of paying 90K for a 1400 sq metre plot & then building a house on it here. I REALLY hope it will still be a go'er for us.

£90k for that size plot, the joys of living up north/scotland !:wideeyed:

We paid £80k for our 450sq.m plot with NO planning permission down here and that is with no road access other than a footpath and 100m from a motorway slip road !

Sorry for going off topic a bit !

Same here, my husband doesn't have the qualifications but does have the experience. Need to really sit down with him and decide what we should do really. Cant see any future here for the kids and I really want the best for them. If they are happy then I am happy. Of course there is the nagging doubt we would get to OZ and the kids would be miserable.:biglaugh:

what does your husband work as?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

If you haven't got alot of money to go to Australia with it makes no difference, anything up to 50k to go with won't make alot of difference and as Harrington says once you get there being a skilled worker you will be earning a good wage and paid in Aus dollars, so things will work out fine. For those of us who are taking over 200k and are too old to start on the mortgage ladder again, it is a disaster, we are down about $250k and that loss means we can't afford the house we could have just over 2 years ago. Unless the uk comes out of this 3 year financial slump, the chances are we might not ever get there, but we could rent our lovely house out here in the uk, but its the last thing i want to do.

Chardy yeah I know (i guess) LOL, the plot size wasnt as big as we'd have liked either but its location suits us brilliantly just now. We had outline planning perm only & brought services up from down the lane. God building a house was SOOOOOOO stressful, god help us with emigrating LOL.

I'm guessing up here out in the sticks of rural grampian wages etc prob reflect in price of things ? (ie more expensive down south but wages higher ? dunno just guessing)

I've been watching the financial news this morning and thinking that my 175 could well prove to be a Get Out of Jail Free card.

I'm not convinced that Oz will come through all this unscathed. The country has extremely high levels of personal borrowing, largely for mortgages, which is dependent on foreign investment. If property prices tank, and the banks take a hit, then it could get very, very messy.

I'd agree with Joebloggs that an economic downturn will affect the numbers of visas granted.

It could well be a Get out of the frying pan and into the fire card instead. :wink:

I agree with other comments above about not needing an awful lot to emigrate with. I shifted over to the Netherlands without it costing me a huge amount of cash upfront a few years back, but the distances are smaller and I had a job to go to.

That said, I don't think that things are going to be good anywhere for the rest of this decade. For migrants it's going to remain tough.

I can't see the pound strengthening until interest rates start to rise, and that's been kicked back into next year now. A common sentiment on Poms In Oz is that house prices will recover, but they're still very expensive on pretty much any metric, and I reckon they'll continue to fall for some time. (See this article from the BBC.)

Man, was a little down about the situation earlier, but totally p***ed off now!!! lol.

Agree with prev comments, the migration programe could be scaled down and this caught us out last time...pitty im married already, could have tried an arranged marriage with an Ozzie girl..that might have helped!!! lol

Mike

Archived